Many of you know that here at J&M Acres our mission is to get as many horses off the meat truck and into good homes as we can.
However, not everyone is aware that horses across North America are routinely shipped to slaughter in Canada and their meat sold to Europe and Asia for human consumption. In fact, the The American Horse Council estimates that over 9.2 million horses are living in the United States and of these, over 170,000 are "unwanted," and suitable homes are not available for them.
- Many horses are the result of irresponsible or over breeding,
- Owners breed horses believing that a ready market exists and they will make money on the sale of the horses,
- Owners lack financial ability to feed and take care of the horse,
- Older owners lack physical ability to care for a horse,
- Horses grow older, become ill, injured, or unmanageable,
- Horses fail to live up to owner's expectations either in performance or appearance,
- The horse was obtained originally as a "pet" without any consideration of the responsibilities of ownership,
- Not enough horse rescue places or funds exist to care for horses that lose their homes,
- The high cost of euthanasia causes many horses to be kept alive long after they begin suffering from any number of distressing terminal illnesses, and many older horses are abandoned when they no longer serve their owners' needs.
- Breeding any animal is a huge responsibility that needs to be carefully thought through and planned. Since horses are large animals that live for many years and have specific needs, careful consideration must be given to the responsibilities involved in breeding your mare or stallion.
If you wish to Help a Horse today, consider becoming a sponsor for GOTTOBSEXY or Prince while they wait for an forever home :) You can also head on over to our How to Help page for more ways to help support our mission, or check out our adoptable horses page and consider opening your heart and your barn to a homeless equine.
We thank all of our supporters for continuing to help us help horses in need and for everyone who advocates on behalf of these beautiful animals we are so lucky to know.