"I am told Loki worked in an English hunter/jumper lesson string for a few years after a short racing career. I’m also told he was always the ‘barn favorite’. He has a puppy dog personality for sure. Very mellow. Best in a herd environment; he can an weave if left in a stall type environment.
Shortly after purchasing this handsome boy in May of this year he was diagnosed with navicular (vet papers available). I was told that with some rehab he could possibly be ridden on the flat and trails but that he wouldn’t be the jumper we thought we were getting.
He has been in rehab with Joan V. Leslie, a Natural Balance Farrier, who removed his shoes and rebalanced his hooves. He has been sound now for coming on 4 weeks (see attached video). Although very sweet and cuddly on the ground, he is currently spirited and hot under saddle.
Navicular doesn’t need to be a death sentence for a horse - learn more here. I have learned so much about this condition after a tonne of research and working with Joan. Unfortunately, the bottom line for me is that I thought I was buying a beginner friendly jumper.
With regular hoof maintenance and avoiding jumping, he should be great for light riding and trails. I don’t have him on any meds (previcox or otherwise). He is currently unshod but should be shod if worked on trails or rough footing.
Here is what I know of him personally:
• Great in a herd – more bottom of the pack than leader.
• No bolt or buck but can be a bit spooky – not more than what would be normal for most TBs though I think.
• No known medical condition other than his front right hoof which was diagnosed with navicular. He has a small cataract in one eye he was born with but it doesn’t impair his vision or performance.
• No special feed program and is a pretty easy keeper, especially for a TB.
• Excellent ground manners; ties well but is hesitant in the wash stall. Easily manageable.
• Trailers well.
Loki is currently located in Chilliwack, but the barn is closing at the end of the month. If you are interested, please contact us and we can pass your info onto his current owner!